Latest Writing Group Assignment: the Noodle
The most recent assignment for the writing group was to write a poem in the Englyn Unodl Union form (or as I refer to it, "The Noodle" form). This form has the following pattern:
* * * * * * A * * * (10 syllables)
* * * * * A (6 syllables)
* * * * * * A (7 syllables)
* * * * * * A (7 syllables)
Where "A" is the rhyme.
It's incredibly difficult, especially for a writer of horror fiction! But I am finding that I'm enjoying the challenge, and the strict structure is actually a benefit (it gives me a definite framework to work within).
Enough of the blather! Time for the "Noodle":
A Walk at Midnight
Walking in the inky night, I’m aware,
creatures cloaked in midnight,
creep and crawl, just out of sight,
watch me tarry in lamplight.
Safe within its shielding glow, I listen
To the moaning wind blow,
Rustling of the hedgerow,
Clatter of leaves swirling slow,
Shivering in light’s feeble glow, I watch:
Swaying of the tree row,
Gnarled arms reaching to-and-fro,
Fog slither and slink below.
A pounding flurry of wings. I recoil,
Hear the scrabble of things
Rushing away from the wings,
Hooked-talon death that it brings.
Squeak, flutter and squeal blended with hedgerow,
Shrill squeak quick suspended,
Owl’s dinner apprehended
Back to darkness ascended.
Immobile in my cone of light, my heart
Hammering, my chest tight.
Beyond the cone: endless night;
A distant dream, dawn’s first light.
* * * * * * A * * * (10 syllables)
* * * * * A (6 syllables)
* * * * * * A (7 syllables)
* * * * * * A (7 syllables)
Where "A" is the rhyme.
It's incredibly difficult, especially for a writer of horror fiction! But I am finding that I'm enjoying the challenge, and the strict structure is actually a benefit (it gives me a definite framework to work within).
Enough of the blather! Time for the "Noodle":
A Walk at Midnight
Walking in the inky night, I’m aware,
creatures cloaked in midnight,
creep and crawl, just out of sight,
watch me tarry in lamplight.
Safe within its shielding glow, I listen
To the moaning wind blow,
Rustling of the hedgerow,
Clatter of leaves swirling slow,
Shivering in light’s feeble glow, I watch:
Swaying of the tree row,
Gnarled arms reaching to-and-fro,
Fog slither and slink below.
A pounding flurry of wings. I recoil,
Hear the scrabble of things
Rushing away from the wings,
Hooked-talon death that it brings.
Squeak, flutter and squeal blended with hedgerow,
Shrill squeak quick suspended,
Owl’s dinner apprehended
Back to darkness ascended.
Immobile in my cone of light, my heart
Hammering, my chest tight.
Beyond the cone: endless night;
A distant dream, dawn’s first light.


<< Home