Writing group assignment: first date
The current writing assignment was to write about a first date. I'm posting an excerpt here. You'll find that I rarely post a whole story. The reason is that once a story has been published on the web, even if published in a small blog, editors and publishers considered it to have run its "first printing." So it would be difficult to market any story that was previously published in the blog. To that end, I only publish excerpts. If you wish to read the rest of the story, you'll have to wait until I get it published.
Lou pushed a small box across the table. She picked it up, casting a quick puzzled glance at him before examining the box more closely. It was small, about the size of a jewelry case, wrapped in maroon and gold paper, tied with a delicate gold bow.
“What is it?” She frowned.
“Just a small gift,” he shrugged.
She put the package back on the table and shook her head. “Oh no, I can't.” She resisted the urge to wipe her hands on her pants and instead folded them in her lap. “It's only our first date.” And I just knew things were going too great. You would have to turn out to be a weirdo.
He smiled, his eyes sparkling with amusement. “I know. But it's not like an engagement ring or anything.” He laughed a little. “My mother always told me never to go empty-handed. If I was invited to your home for a dinner party, I'd bring a house-warming gift.” He regarded the package for a moment and then placed it closer to her again. “Just think of this as a date-warming gift.”
Eloise raised one eyebrow, but smiled in spite of herself at his warmth and genuineness. “A date-warming gift,” she repeated uncertainly.
He shrugged, his warm smile never leaving his face. “I'm just being polite, that’s all.”
She watched him for a moment more, looking in his big brown eyes for some excuse to be alarmed. Finding none, she sighed and slowly unwrapped the gift. As soon as it was unwrapped her brow furrowed again.
She looked up at him, her head cocked sideways. “What is it?”
“It's a necklace. Try it on.” His smile broadened.
She grasped the leather cord and dangled the necklace in front of her face. Instead of a pendant, it was strung with a single tiny bottle, filled with a liquid-silver material.
Her mouth turned down in disgust. “What's in the bottle?”
He laughed. “Just a good luck potion.”
She looked at him skeptically.
“Seriously. It's just a fun little thing. Try it on.”
She thought for a moment, wondering what harm could come of wearing it. Finding none, she moved the slide-knots on the leather cord until the loop was large enough to slip over her head.
She examined the bottle for a moment as it lay coolly against her skin. It actually is kind of pretty, she thought.
She looked up at him, her eyes dancing with mischief. “Are you sure this isn't some kind of potion to make me fall madly in love with you forever?”
He laughed, a rich, warm sound that felt like being wrapped in the softest of blankets. “I wish!” He reached out and took her hand. “But I'm afraid I still have to do that the old fashioned way.”
Lou pushed a small box across the table. She picked it up, casting a quick puzzled glance at him before examining the box more closely. It was small, about the size of a jewelry case, wrapped in maroon and gold paper, tied with a delicate gold bow.
“What is it?” She frowned.
“Just a small gift,” he shrugged.
She put the package back on the table and shook her head. “Oh no, I can't.” She resisted the urge to wipe her hands on her pants and instead folded them in her lap. “It's only our first date.” And I just knew things were going too great. You would have to turn out to be a weirdo.
He smiled, his eyes sparkling with amusement. “I know. But it's not like an engagement ring or anything.” He laughed a little. “My mother always told me never to go empty-handed. If I was invited to your home for a dinner party, I'd bring a house-warming gift.” He regarded the package for a moment and then placed it closer to her again. “Just think of this as a date-warming gift.”
Eloise raised one eyebrow, but smiled in spite of herself at his warmth and genuineness. “A date-warming gift,” she repeated uncertainly.
He shrugged, his warm smile never leaving his face. “I'm just being polite, that’s all.”
She watched him for a moment more, looking in his big brown eyes for some excuse to be alarmed. Finding none, she sighed and slowly unwrapped the gift. As soon as it was unwrapped her brow furrowed again.
She looked up at him, her head cocked sideways. “What is it?”
“It's a necklace. Try it on.” His smile broadened.
She grasped the leather cord and dangled the necklace in front of her face. Instead of a pendant, it was strung with a single tiny bottle, filled with a liquid-silver material.
Her mouth turned down in disgust. “What's in the bottle?”
He laughed. “Just a good luck potion.”
She looked at him skeptically.
“Seriously. It's just a fun little thing. Try it on.”
She thought for a moment, wondering what harm could come of wearing it. Finding none, she moved the slide-knots on the leather cord until the loop was large enough to slip over her head.
She examined the bottle for a moment as it lay coolly against her skin. It actually is kind of pretty, she thought.
She looked up at him, her eyes dancing with mischief. “Are you sure this isn't some kind of potion to make me fall madly in love with you forever?”
He laughed, a rich, warm sound that felt like being wrapped in the softest of blankets. “I wish!” He reached out and took her hand. “But I'm afraid I still have to do that the old fashioned way.”


<< Home